Architecture Summer School
School of Architecture and Design
The School of Architecture and Design is sited in a purpose-built facility designed by the world-renowned architect Rick Mather, and located in one of Europe’s most historic cathedral cities. Lincoln is an ideal city in which to study architecture and the built environment. As an urban campus in a small and compact city, students have the benefit of easy access to the historic centre with its many amenities.
The 2017 Architecture Summer School introduces students to the intellectual and creative requirements of higher education and challenges perceptions of design theory and practice. It aims to provide students with an understanding of what is expected in terms of critical thinking and provides an overview of the tools required in representation of architectural ideas. Students will have the opportunity to receive professional tuition and guidance in the completion of a short design project, from initial ideas generation through to the final presentation of work.
The course may also offer opportunities for suitable students to apply for either the MArch (Global) or MArch (Part 2), subject to requirement
- A welcome event and tours of Lincoln’s galleries, museums, Lincoln Castle and Lincoln Cathedral
- Practical workshops using Auto CAD, Photoshop, laser cutting, 3D printing and 3D scanning
- CV and portfolio preparation with mock interviews
- Application preparation for MArch (Global) and MArch (Part 2), subject to requirements
- Field trips to London and Nottingham
- Short project from development to presentation
- A presentation of certificates of attendance followed by a farewell gala dinner
- Demonstrate an understanding of critical design practices, evaluate alternative methodologies and articulate a clear rationale for a particular approach towards a design project.
- Develop and creatively apply appropriate strategies, techniques and methods of communicating the visual/conceptual and technical aspects of a design project.
- Demonstrate the ability to visualise complex relationships through creative application of and experimentation with a range of media
- Engage in critical discussion and debate with staff and peers about their own work and the work of others and contribute to and present group research
Who should attend
The Summer School is open to students who want to apply for undergraduate or postgraduate architectural studies in the UK and feel they need to develop their critical and practical design skills to improve their portfolio and application. It will also suit students currently engaged in postgraduate study who wish to broaden their current portfolio.
DownloadsUol Architecture Leaflet 2017 Summer School Architecture－ Chinese Terms And Conditions
The Summer School fee is £1,200 with accommodation and £850 without accommodation. For group discounts of 8 or more please contact email@example.com
Fees for all students include course materials, use of specialist digital fabrication facilities, field trips, a welcome event, end of school gala buffet and lunch from Monday to Friday. We do not normally provide evening meals, as this is an opportunity for students to explore the many places to eat in Lincoln that will suit a variety of budgets and dietary requirements.
With accommodation option includes breakfast and lunch Monday to Friday and you must be over 18 years of age on the day the summer school commences.
Without accommodation option includes lunch from Monday to Friday and you must be over 16 years of age on the day the summer school commences.
All fees must be paid in full by Monday 15th May, 2017.
Fees do not include flights, airport transfers or visa costs. Please allow plenty of time to apply for your visa.